Use of DCC sound decoders

• This may be of interest to users with sound decoders.

I have a number of locos equipped with sound decoders. I have found that it is not useful for all the sounds to be produced at the same time as they overlap and spoil the effect.

To tackle this problem I decided that the sound should be switched off when a loco had reached the destination and had come to a halt.

The problem I encountered was that the function to turn off the sound in the card that deactivates the route turns off the sound before the loco comes to a halt. I am slowing the loco by a large value entered in CV 4 for effect.

My solution is to turn off the sound in route index card 4 for the next following route with a short delay beforehand to allow time for the loco time to come to a halt. The entry in this card would specify the address of the loco that needs the sound to be turned off even if this is different from the address of the loco controlled by that route.

John Ferguson

Commander with S88 Littfinski feedback for track monitoring and reed switches.

5 amp booster connected to the CDE port.

Lenz LI-USB interface connecting to a laptop via the LSB bus using RocRail software to drive trains manually via an Android phone.