USB Functionality

• Many modern DCC controllers have the ability to connect to a PC via USB. At the moment the Viessmann Commander only allows connection to the PC for backup. Does Viessmann have any plans to introduce full USB functionality to the Commander so it can connect to the PC to enable remote control etc?

regards
    Jose Kimber

• Offizieller Beitrag

The USB Port is only for data transfer from and to the Commander. This is a full functinally USB Port , what you mean ?.
    We not provide to use the USB Port for controling the Commander via external Software.
    remote controls you can connect via LSB Port . You can connect directly the Roco Multimaus and Lenz LH 100 to the LSB Port.

• Dear Jurgen

Thank you for your reply, however the Lenz and Roco devices are not what I want. They are very limited (and expensive) devices which require the input of the loco address, whereas the commander allows selection from a photo. This is why I chose the commander.

I want to be able to connect to a wireless device such as an iPhone or iPad. There is software available (Rocrail, JMRI etc) which can be connected to a lot of controllers via a computer. To do this I need to connect to the USB, or to a computer interface via the LSB. Computer interface is expensive and it would be nice if the commander would connect direct to the USB on the computer. I was hoping that Viessmann would consider developing this for a release of the firmware, or maybe providing a USB interface.

• Dear Jurgen

A solution is available to use smart phones and IPads with the Commander.

I am using a smart phone to drive trains via the Commander by connecting a Lenz LI-USB XpressNet PC interface to the LSB port.

This communicates with open source RocRail PC software via a wireless router. A separate PC has to be used to the one used for backups to avoid conflict with the FTDI drivers. It does seem to me that with some adjustment to the usb driver software the Company would be able to offer this or similar solution without any major changes to the Commander.

While I accept that the Commander was conceived to work without computer control, being capable of full automation, some owners are not comfortable with the wired handsets by Lenz and Roco to which you refer.

Not all owners wish to restrict their activities to automation but instead wish to drive trains directly under manual control as well, also a feature of the Commander.

Regards

John

Commander with S88 Littfinski feedback for track monitoring and reed switches.

5 amp booster connected to the CDE port.

Lenz LI-USB interface connecting to a laptop via the LSB bus using RocRail software to drive trains manually via an Android phone.

• John

Thank you for putting the point so succinctly. That is exactly what I want to do. My layout is not equipped for automatic train control and I have no interest in this, I like to drive the trains myself, but I need to be able to walk around the layout so I can follow the trains. My layout is 30 feet long and N gauge so it is difficult to operate from a single fixed point.

The commander is wonderful for operating points from the track diagram and setting routes, but it is not good for driving the trains, hence the need for an interface to enable connection to the iPhone and iPad.

I don't find the wired handheld controllers very user friendly and I don't want long wires trailing around anyway. The iPhone software is ideal.

I think that Viessmann may be missing out on an important part of the market if they do not consider this very seriously, especially as they have not produced a handheld of their own, and seemingly have no plans to do so.
    Regards
    Jose

• The answer is that they do not having looked at the Lenz documentation.

The only way I am familiar with is Littfinski DatenTechnik's (LDT) HSI -88 device. This is a USB to S88 product that is claimed to function with RailRoad & Co's Traincontroller software.

Why you would wish to do this however when the Commander is able to provide a high level of automation without a PC.

John

Lenz LI-USB interface connecting to a laptop via the LSB bus using RocRail software to drive trains manually via an Android phone.

• Hello again!
    Thanks for respond!

But i mean that S88(any kind) is connected to Commander and S88 Occupancy will be imagined as at Commander screen as well as in IBM-PC via Lenz LI or other interface.
    IS IT POSSIBLE?
    Does Commander translate S88 status into XPress net plug?
    -----------
    Vadim

• Hi Vadim

I do not know the answer to S88 feedback both on the Commander and on the PC at the same time.

Suggest you discuss this with the maker of the HSI-88 S88 interface. Littfinski DatenTechnik

Regards

John

• Hi Vadim

I will look into it and get back to you.

John

• Hi Vadim

My research indicates that Xpressnet is not used for feedback as lenz has separate two wire bus for this.

Hence I do think the Xpressnet port on the Commander will provide any feedback information.

John

• Ok. Can You try to connect ViessMann Commander (instead of Roco/Lenz buster) using XPress or LSB cable into Lenz LI101/HSI USB computer interface, and try to read feedback at IBM-PC in Roco/Lenz format?
    May be, Commander allready send feedback data?

If Yes, we would access feedback both - at Computer and at Commander screen/Trackplan
    -------
    Vadim

• I only have the Lenz Li-USB Xpressnet interface. I do not think it has any feedback capability.

I regret I can not help you.