Adjusting track-voltage for z-scale

• Hello everyone,

To give a small introduction, I’m a Dutch model train enthusiast looking for a solution to control his Z-scale DCC train via the computer. My German is not that good, so I hope it would be not to annoying if I use English instead. If there is also an English Viessmann forum, I would be happy to hear it.

OK, my problem. I’m looking for a digital central (DCC) for my model train. The Viessmann Commander seems to be a nice option, however, I can’t find anything in the specifications about adjusting the track-voltage. At the forum I found some other discussion about the voltage where someone also noted to want to use the Commander for z-scale, but it does not really give a solution for my problem as far as I can see.

The DCC decoders I use are from Velmo (http://www.velmo.de/html/track_voltage.html) and work optimal at a voltage of 12 volt and a maximum of 15 volt. I prefer to stay as close as possible to optimal voltage.

My question: Is the Viessmann commander provided with an adjustable power supply or can the track voltage be adjusted by the unit? If not, is it possible to connect another power supple and at which minimum voltage? Are the maybe other solutions like using an external booster that supports lower voltages?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi DutchZ,

the power of the commander is adjustable:
    13,5V 15V 17V 18V

Greetings to the Netherlands
    Eddie

Spur N, zweigleisige Hauptstrecke (Hundeknochen), eingleisige Nebenstrecke, ca 25 Züge Epoche IV, Fahrbetrieb Automatik funktioniert, Lenz Gold mini und Silver+ Decoder,ESU Decoder, 8x Viessmann 5233,
    Commander 1.402 seit Dez. 2007, Windows Vista

• Thanks eddie and Karle. Now I nearly know everything to be sure the commander is the right choice for me.

If someone has links to websites with information about z-scale projects using equipment of Viessmann (or others), I’ll be happy to hear about them as well. All ideas will be welcome. :)