Beiträge von John Ferguson

Hallo

Keeping track of your routes can be a problem as the list of routes can only be found by accessing an individual route.

Can we have in the next update a list of routes separate from the list withing a route.

John

Hallo

I am interested in using the Lenz computer interface LI101 with the Commander. The device is XpressNet compatible.

I connected this to the Commander via a Lenz LF152 universal XpressNet adapter that changes the 5 pin din connection to the RJ type used on the commander. I could not get any response from the Commander.

Nevertheless on connecting a Lenz LH100 handheld throttle via the same type of connection this worked satisfactorily.

I was under the impression that on connecting any XpressNet compatible device the Commander would automatically register it.

What has been suggested as a solution is to change the address of the computer interface to the same address used by the LH100 throttle.

Please could Viessmann support suggest a solution?

The reason I wish to do this is that I would then be able to use the JMRI range of software. This would enable me to use the Apple ITouch wireless device as a remote handheld throttle. This would connect to the computer via a wireless router using WIthrottle software. This is an Apple application that runs on the ITouch.

John

Hallo

I have found that the English manual does not appear to be correct for the letters to denote the various directions of trains as follows:-

System data for forward is (F) and not (V) as shown in the manual

System data for inverse is (T) and not (U) as shown in the manual

System data for keep direction is (S) and not (W) as shown in the manual

These differences may of course be due to not having been translated from German to English

They show up when setting up a route.

Nevertheless the manual is excellent and very helpful without which I would not be able to use the Commander. It is a tribute to the skill of the person who translated it from the German.

John

Hallo

Following the recommendations received on this forum for routes for a shuttle train that is:-

On card 5 after RM number issue a stop command.
    On card 7 use the reverse (inverse direction in the manual I assume).

I found that the train arrives at the station but the lights reverse before the loco comes to a standstill which is not as a real train would function.

I prefer the following which overcomes this problem.

Index card 4 for the speed to be used the train for one route is set to reverse (R) and the train for the other route is set to forward. (F). This card also to have a waiting period.

Index cards 5 and 7 are both set for each route as keep direction. (S)

It took me a long time to realise that the problem was that DCC decoders are based on having a forward and reverse as recorded in CV29.

This solution ensured that the lights only changed after the loco stopped moving.

John

I have been working on a simple shuttle train between 2 stations with no intermediate stops as desribed on pages 25 and 26 of the English manual.

I have found that the concept of keeping direction with an instruction for inverse working in the cancellation index card 7 as described on those pages does not produce a reliable result for me. What does work however is to recognise that the train has a forward and reverse mode of running according to DCC decoders.

Hence if you use the settings below the train goes back and forward and reverses after arriving at a station. By increasing the pause time in index card 4 the simulation of a train waiting for passengers is achieved.

These are the settings that work for me.

Index card 4 for the speed to be used one route is set to reverse (R) and the second route set to forward. (F)

Index cards 5 and 7 are both set for each route as keep diraction. (S)

The manual is not correct for the letters to denote the various directions as follows:-

System data for forward is (F) and not (V) as shown in the manual

System data for inverse is (T) and not (U) as shown in the manual

System data for keep direction is (S) and not (W) as shown in the manual

These differences may of course be due to not having been transalated from German to English

It took me a long time to realise that the problem was that DCC decoders are based on having a forward and reverse as recorded in CV29.

John Ferguson :P

I find that when illuminating a route that only 84 units are available so that not all of the route is illuminated when setting up the route.

Also when the route is operated not all of the previous 84 units are illuminated.

Any comments?

John

I find the quality of the screen to be superb but I am worried that over time it will suffer damage if left on for too long.

Could I suggest that a screen saver routine is introduced as exists for most computers.
    John

One thing the programmers for the system could consider is the ability for users to see the Commander screen on their PC's via the USB connection.

This would be especially useful in regard to viewing the whole of the screens for the track diagrams. I have a layout with over 60 points and while the 3 track plans help very much I have to do a lot of scrolling when setting up routes. If I could see the whole of the track plan area this would be of great assistance.

John

It would be very helpful for UK owners if an English language DVD could be produced.

While the English language manual is very useful the DVD in German does not do justice to the system due to the level of understanding being very limited.

Can this be done in the near future?

John

Quite frequently when shutting down the Commander I get a dialogue box in red explaining that data has been corrupted and that I should attend to the system settings.

This does not appear every time I shut down and I am following the shut down proceedure in the manual.

The quick start guide says hold down the on off button until the system shuts down. The detail manual says wait until the green dialogue box appears and then click on the shut down button.

Which is correct and what are the system settings that need to be changed please?

John

No doubt because I am a new user I do need some more help.

When drawing the track on the track plan I have used the black symbols but I notice from the menu at the top of the screen that there is a yellow symbol as well as a yellow symbol with a white block underneath. Please can I have an explanation for the use of these symbols?

John

The Viessmann manual shows a symbol for the track diagram for tunnel/underpass
    but this is not implemented on the system with version 1.052 of the software.

What should you do when tracks pass underneath other tracks?

Will the route setting be affected if the track stops short where they pass undeneath. Does
    anyone have any experience of this to give me advice please.

John