Beiträge von josekimber

Hello Jurgen

I do not understand this, the Commander 5300 has the facility when programming a decoder to "send Railcom" - see reference manual Page 58. What is this for if Railcom does not work? How would you connect to the Commander to receive loco ID and track occupancy? If Railcom function is not available, why is it there in the decoder programming settings?

Regards

Jose Kimber

I am trying to download the USB driver but when I select it on the website it comes up with an error message for that page. The 1.35 update, the Commander Manager and documentation all downloaded correctly. Please can you tell me where I can download the driver?

Regards
    Jose Kimber

I am trying to download the USB driver but when I select it on the website it comes up with an error message for that page. The 1.35 update, the Commander Manager and documentation all downloaded correctly. Please can you tell me where I can download the driver?

Regards
    Jose Kimber

Regards
    Jose Kimber

John

Thank you for putting the point so succinctly. That is exactly what I want to do. My layout is not equipped for automatic train control and I have no interest in this, I like to drive the trains myself, but I need to be able to walk around the layout so I can follow the trains. My layout is 30 feet long and N gauge so it is difficult to operate from a single fixed point.

The commander is wonderful for operating points from the track diagram and setting routes, but it is not good for driving the trains, hence the need for an interface to enable connection to the iPhone and iPad.

I don't find the wired handheld controllers very user friendly and I don't want long wires trailing around anyway. The iPhone software is ideal.

I think that Viessmann may be missing out on an important part of the market if they do not consider this very seriously, especially as they have not produced a handheld of their own, and seemingly have no plans to do so.
    Regards
    Jose

Dear Jurgen
    Thank you, that is very helpful, it explains what the symbols on the track diagram page are used for.

Please could you tell me why my track diagram does not display on startup? It should save this as part of the shutdown/startup process, as it always used to do before the last software update, but it is not doing that now. Can you tell me how to fix this?

Regards
    Jose Kimber

Dear Jurgen

Thank you for your reply, however the Lenz and Roco devices are not what I want. They are very limited (and expensive) devices which require the input of the loco address, whereas the commander allows selection from a photo. This is why I chose the commander.

I want to be able to connect to a wireless device such as an iPhone or iPad. There is software available (Rocrail, JMRI etc) which can be connected to a lot of controllers via a computer. To do this I need to connect to the USB, or to a computer interface via the LSB. Computer interface is expensive and it would be nice if the commander would connect direct to the USB on the computer. I was hoping that Viessmann would consider developing this for a release of the firmware, or maybe providing a USB interface.

Many modern DCC controllers have the ability to connect to a PC via USB. At the moment the Viessmann Commander only allows connection to the PC for backup. Does Viessmann have any plans to introduce full USB functionality to the Commander so it can connect to the PC to enable remote control etc?

regards
    Jose Kimber

Dear Jurgen

I have looked on the website for version 1.2 of the manual in English, but the only one I can see on the English page is the old version 1.1. Please can you tell me where to find version 1.2? I am trying to find out how the track diagrams work, which was changed in a recent software update. In addition to the three track diagrams available through the button on the right of the commander, there are four track diagrams permanently displayed at the top of the track view screen. I do not understand what these are for. Does the new manual cover this? I have only one layout in use, but when I touch the buttons they seem to change. Now when I start up the commander it does not immediately switch to the track plan I was using, it always comes up with one of the blank ones. Is this a bug? Can you tell me how to fix it please? I thought if I deleted all the other track plans it would automatically start with the one I use.

Regards
    Jose Kimber

Hi John

You may be interested to know that I have not encountered this problem with my commander. I have at long last managed to install the Digitrax point decoders to the Kato points and they are all working. It took a long time because I had to wait for the decoders from DCC Supplies, and then persuade my long-suffering husband to do the wiring for me. It all works pretty well, now I just have to try to set up the routes.

I'm having less joy with the PC Interface though. I got the cable to make the physical connections, but the interface does not seem to recognise the commander. It ought to work, but will have to experiment further.

Regards
    Jose