Marklin locs with Marklin FX-decoders cannot be controlled ?

• Hello,

Again my apologies for the English, please feel free to answer in German (I can read German, but not write it) :)

As I have stated in other posts I have received my Viessmann Commander yesterday. So far I have been able to get a little familiar with the device and its different menus and screens. Must say I LOVE operating the Commander, it's color display provides a very pleasant interface.

Allthough there is a lot of joy about my new purchase there is also concern :( I cannot get my Marklin locs to operate on the Commander. I have tested a BR258 (from Marklin starter-set #29852) and a BR55 (Marklin #37540) and neither locomotive can be controlled. Both locs are equipped with a decoder Marklin calls FX. The BR258 has two lighting functions and the BR55 has a total of 9 functions available.

I have tried both locs on a programming track connected to the Commander. Neither locomotive is automatically reckognized by the Commander. When I enter the locs into the "LokListe" manually they do NOT respond to any commands. Even when using the "Direkt Modus" (Motorola) both locs cannot be controlled ! Strangely though...when I wait some time with a loc on the programming track this loc starts running slowly forward, stopping, backward, occasionally the lights come on, etc...all BY ITSELF ?!?

I own only four locomotives at this time (starter) and all are Marklin locs. Before buying the Commander I did some research about the Commander in combination with Marklin locs. I learned all Marklin locs should be controllable through the Motorola old and/or new protocol but so far this does not work with my locs. Is my Commander broken or...?

Kind regards,

Rolf

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Rolf,

die locos should be recognized on the programming track by the Commander automatically. This may take a while (up to 90 seconds).

If you enter the loco manually in the direct mode you can controll the loco only on the normal track and not on the programming track. For mfx-Decoders you should use the new Motorola format (Short cut "MOT") and not the old one ("M(A)"). The loco should run with these settings correctly. The loco address is written in the manual of the loco.

If these hints do not help it might be easier if you try to contact me via email (kundenservice@viessmann-modell.de) or you try to make a call at the hotline.

• Dear Mr. Fuhs,

Thank you very much for your very clear reply. After your hints I was successful in running both locomotives, a lot of fun ! I hope I can ask a few more questions at this point ?

# After having waited for many minutes (well over 90 seconds) both locos are reckognized. The only data that seems to be read however...is the address. Is this correct ?

# After reckognision I can acces "Karteiblatte" 1...2...7...and 8 ! Is this correct...no "Karteiblatte" 3, 4, 5 and 6 for these particular two FX-decoders ?

# Another question if I may regarding the additional functions on the BR 55 (Marklin 37540)... Through the automatically reckognized Motorola-address 55 I can acces the first 5 functions (including headlights). Is there a way to access the other 4 functions through its Motorola address of 56 on the same "Fahrpult" ? Or do I have to create a differente loco in the database that has address 56 and operate the additional 4 functions on the second "Fahrpult" ?

I hope you or someone else knowledgable can answer these questions for me again. Thank you in advance for any reaction.

Kind regards,

Rolf

• Hello Rolf!

# After having waited for many minutes (well over 90 seconds) both locos are reckognized. The only data that seems to be read however...is the address. Is this correct ?
    YES

# After reckognision I can acces "Karteiblatte" 1...2...7...and 8 ! Is this correct...no "Karteiblatte" 3, 4, 5 and 6 for these particular two FX-decoders ?
    YES, 3/4/5/6 are only for DCC-Locos

# Another question if I may regarding the additional functions on the BR 55 (Marklin 37540)... Through the automatically reckognized Motorola-address 55 I can acces the first 5 functions (including headlights). Is there a way to access the other 4 functions through its Motorola address of 56 on the same "Fahrpult" ? Or do I have to create a differente loco in the database that has address 56 and operate the additional 4 functions on the second "Fahrpult"
    I think it is correkt at this time. But we should ask Mr. Fuhs. :oops:

Rick

Beste Grüße
    Rick

Zentrale : Commander (1.xx )
    Umgebung : Märklin C-Gleis, Roco MultiMaus, Notebook Windows 7prof.
    Rückmeldung: Tams S88N ( 3/4)
    Decoder: LokPilot 3.5, LokSound 3.5/4, LokPilot OEM, Motorola alt+neu
    GBS: Wenn es das denn nur gäbe!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Rolf,

it is correct, the Commander can only read the address of a Motorola controlled loco. The other parameters can not be read by this format. There are no commands for doing this action.

The index card 3, 4, 5, and 6 display the CV-value for the driving characteristics of a DCC-loco. A Motorola decoder does not support the programming in this way. So we decided to hide these index cards for every Motorola loco. You can look at them if you change the digital format to DCC on the first card.

The electrical programming for Motorola decoders will follow in one of the next updates.

The Motorola new format can control the head light (function f0) up to function f4. The functions f5 up to f8 are disabled at the moment. This will be added in one of the next Commander updates, I think.

But I cannot promise a date for both features at the moment.

• Hello Rick,

Maybe it is getting old but I have to thank you AGAIN for your answers, haha :lol: I am very happy I got my Marklin-locos to run on the Commander, can't wait to continue testing and find out more about the Commander. Operating this device is loads of fun !

We will have to wait on Mr. Fuhs for the answer to my last question, see what can be said about accessing more than 5 functions on Motorola-decoders :)

Kind regards,

Rolf

• It seems Mr. Fuhs was faster in his reply than myself :D Thank you for the information, Mr. Fuhs...again very helpful and reassuring :)

I hope the operation of more than 5 functions on a Motorola-loco will be available in a future update. Untill that time I will create a second locomotive in the database with the second Motorola address of my Marklin BR55.

Kind regards,

Rolf